Press & Media
We welcome media to attend the WCLC in person and we provide a media workroom and daily press conferences/media availability events. Please find information for media about the WCLC below, including instructions and a link for registration and details about media policies and embargoes. As the meeting gets closer, we will also include daily press releases and live streaming of some media events.
Access Live Press Streams & Recordings
Sunday, September 23, 2018 (16:00 – 17:30) Moderators: Andrea Bezjak, Gail Darling and Natasha Leighl
- Welcome – Andrea Bezjak, Gail Darling and Natasha Leighl, Canada
- Preview of the WCLC/Key Themes/Practice-Changing Abstracts – Andrea Andrea Bezjak, Gail Darling and Natasha Leighl, Canada
- Abstract #13519: Oncogene-Driven Patient Groups: A New Era For Research Partnerships – Janet Freeman-Daily, USA
- Abstract #12955: No Longer Outliers: Understanding the Needs of Long-Term Cancer Survivors – Maureen Rigney, USA
- Abstract #13559: The Role of Comprehensive Genomic Profiling in the Community Setting – Kimberly Rohan, USA
Sunday Summary Press Release
Press Release – Oncogene-Driven Patient-Caregiver Communities Creating New Paradigm for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Research
Press Release – Survey Data from Lung Cancer Alliance Highlights the Unmet Emotional Needs of Long-Term Lung Cancer Survivors
Press Release – Comprehensive Genomic Profiling Aids in the Identification of Personalized Therapeutic Options
Monday, September 24, 2018 (09:45 – 10:30) Moderator: Andrea Bezjak
- Summarize Plenary Themes/Key Results/News – Andrea Bezjak, Canada
- Abstract #12389: IMpower132: PFS and Safety Results with 1L Atezolizumab + Carboplatin/Cisplatin + Pemetrexed in Stage IV Non-Squamous NSCLC – Vassiliki Papadimitrakopoulou, USA
- Abstract #13903: Efficacy and Safety of Entrectinib in Locally Advanced or Metastatic ROS1 Fusion-Positive Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) – Robert Doebele, USA
- When Breath Becomes Air – Lucy Kalanithi, USA
- Abstract #14485: Association Between Outdoor Air Pollution And Lung Cancer in Female Never Smokers – Renelle Myers, Canada
- Abstract #14526: Case-Series Study in Ever- and Never-Smoking Females and Males with NSCLC: Exposures, Tumor Factors, Biology and Survival (SWOG S0424) – Kathy Albain, USA
- Abstract #13032: Acceptance of Smoking Cessation Services in Cancer Care Ontario’s Lung Cancer Screening Pilot for People at High Risk – William Evans, Canada
Monday Summary Press Release
Press Release – Opening Plenary Speaker at World Conference on Lung Cancer Examines How Serious Illness Can Create Important Sense of Meaning for HCPs, Caregivers and Patients
Press Release – Study Shows Outdoor Air Pollution Exposure Significantly Higher in Women Non-Smokers With Lung Cancer Than Women Smokers With Lung Cancer
Press Release – Women With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers Live Longer Than Men, WCLC Study Shows
Press Release – Smoking Cessation Services Widely Accepted During Lung Cancer Screenings
Press Release – IMpower132 Study Shows Atezolizumab in Combination With Carboplatin and Pemetrexed Reduced the Risk of Disease Worsening or Death (PFS) in Stage IV Non-Squamous NSCLC
Press Release – Study Demonstrates Reliability of Trained Dogs in the Identification of Malignant Pulmonary Nodules
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 (09:45 – 10:30) Moderator: Frances Shepherd
- Summarize Presidential Themes/Importance of Day’s Trials – Frances Shepherd, Canada
- Abstract #14722: Effects of Volume CT Lung Cancer Screening: Mortality Results of the NELSON Randomised-Controlled Population Based Trial – Harry De Koning, Netherlands
- Abstract #14701: Overall Survival with Durvalumab Versus Placebo After Chemoradiotherapy in Stage III NSCLC: Updated Results from PACIFIC – Scott Antonia, USA
- Abstract #11192: Nintedanib + Pemetrexed/Cisplatin in Patients with Unresectable MPM: Phase III Results from the LUME-Meso Trial – Giorgio Scagliotti, Italy
- Abstract #12892: IMpower 133: Primary PFS, OS and Safety in a PH1/3 Study of 1L Atezolizumab + Carboplatin + Etoposide in Extensive-Stage SCLC – Stephen Liu, USA
- Abstract #11155: Brigatinib vs Crizotinib in Patients With ALK Inhibitor-Naive Advanced ALK+ NSCLC: First Report of a Phase 3 Trial (ALTA-1L) – Ross Camidge, USA
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 (09:45 – 10:30) Moderators: Gail Darling and Natasha Leighl
- Summarize Plenary Themes/Key Results/News – Gail Darling, Canada
- Summarize Key Themes in Closing Plenary – Natasha Leighl, Canada
- Review of Practice-Changing Abstracts – Experienced Practitioner, Young Practitioner and Patient/Advocate Summarize How They’ll Change Practice – Paul Bunn, Jr., Jill Feldman and Anna Farago, USA
- Abstract #11970: Final Report of a Prospective Randomized Study on Thoracic Radiotherapy Target Volumes with Radiation Dosimetric and Pathologic Analyses – Xiao Hu, China
- London Professor to be Honored for Lifetime Scientific Achievement
- Professor of Medicine, Hematology and Oncology; President of the American University of Beirut, to be Honored for Lifetime Scientific Achievement
- Houston Oncologist and Professor to be Honored for Lifetime Scientific Achievement
- French Professor in Radiation Oncology to be Honored for Extraordinary Contributions to Lung Cancer Association
- São Paulo Oncologist to be Honored for Lifetime Scientific Achievement
- Companies or organizations producing publications, videos and other products intended for marketing, advertising, financial analysis or public relations purposes may not register to attend the meeting as media. This includes any organization that intends to sell or distribute video recorded at the WCLC for monetary gain. Any organization filming video is required to use either the official conference backdrop or a co-branded backdrop (include the IASLC logo). Any organization that misrepresents itself in regards to this manner will face sanctions and possible other actions.
- Financial analysts; sales, advertising or marketing representatives; book publishers and book authors may not register as media, but are welcome to register as regular attendees.
- Public relations personnel and individuals from communications, print and online promotion services should register as a regular attendee (not as media).
- Media are welcome to attend all general admission Scientific and Educational Sessions. These sessions may NOT be filmed on video. Ticketed sessions, such as "Meet the Expert" sessions, are not open to media.
All media representatives are required to pre-register for the meeting and must be credentialed by IASLC before being officially registered.
Journalists, including photographers, must work exclusively for the outlet for which they are credentialed (exceptions for freelance journalists are detailed below). Journalists who use their media privileges to work for non-credentialed organizations will have their privileges revoked. Journalists are required to complete the media online pre-registration form and submit the following:
- A letter of assignment on the letterhead of the news organization being represented.
- A photocopy of official press credentials, such a press card issued by a recognized journalists’ association or a government-sanctioned press organization (IASLC does not recognize press cards issued by web-based organizations such as IFNM) and/or a business card issued by a recognized news organization.
Freelance journalists including photographers may work for multiple publications, as long as they confirm in advance that those publications are eligible for media registration. Freelance journalists must submit the following:
- A letter of assignment on the letterhead of the news organization being represented.
- A recent copy of the publication (a mailed copy, link to the publication’s website or a photocopy of a cover/issue published within the past 6 months).
IASLC Press & Embargo Policies
Please read carefully as these policies have been updated for 2018, including:
- Abstract Embargo
- Press Release Embargo
- Social Media
- Video, Photography and Audio Recording
- Live Coverage
- Presentation Slides and Poster Release
- Media List
Abstract Embargo Policy
Titles for all presentations will be available online at 13:00 EST on Friday, August 10, 2018.
Abstracts selected for the presentation or included in the press program will be kept under embargo until either the time of the presentation or the beginning of the WCLC press conference, whichever comes first. All abstracts covered in the WCLC press program will receive a press release. All other abstracts will be made will be available online on at 17:00 EST on Wednesday, September 5, 2018, in conjunction with the release of the Virtual Meeting.
Registrants will receive in their onsite registration material at the conference a USB drive containing the same material that will be released on September 5, 2018.
All abstracts, including those presented in the press program, will be published in the Journal of Thoracic Oncology in December 2018.
Press Release Policy
Press releases that feature data or events involving the WCLC should include the full name of the meeting, specifically: IASLC 19th World Conference on Lung Cancer hosted by the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer. Further, we respectfully request that the release include the official conference hashtag: #WCLC2018. To learn more, please visit www.iaslc.org.
The IASLC develops press releases for presentations that are selected for the press program. These are to be released at the time the presentation begins or the press conference for that day begins, whichever comes first. Any organization or company issuing a press release about a presentation scheduled for the WCLC press program are asked to hold their releases until after the official IASLC release. If a presentation is selected for the WCLC press program, its content is embargoed until (1) the presentation begins or (2) the press conference for that day begins, whichever comes first. The IASLC welcomes the opportunity to collaborate on a press release for those abstracts selected for the WCLC press program.
For presentations not selected for the WCLC press program, the embargo lifts on September 5 at 17:00 EST.
Social Media Policy
Organizations may use social media to disseminate news and information regarding abstracts being presented at the WCLC. All information distributed through social media channels must adhere to the IASLC's embargo policy. Please use the IASLC's World Conference hashtag, #WCLC2018 in any social media posts. Members of the media are permitted to photograph and transmit/share on any social media platform any presentation's slides without approval from the presenter and/or the IASLC unless explicitly forbidden. However, authors retain the copyright to their full slide presentations and all copyright laws apply to the reproduction, distribution and/or publication of slides. Representatives from academic institutions are permitted to share slides. Only non-flash photography of slide presentations is allowed.
All interviews outside of press conferences must be arranged in advance with interviewees and must take place in IASLC approved and designated rooms, with an IASLC meeting backdrop. No last-minute or hallway interviews are permitted anywhere inside the conference facility. IASLC staff are available to help schedule interviews and a limited number of designated interview rooms are available, complimentary to credentialed media and may be scheduled for up to two hours. Sign up is required. For questions, please see the IASLC staff in the Media Room.
Media organizations filming a large amount of video content must contact the IASLC in advance (becky.bunn at iaslc.org) and must meet the following requirements:
- All filming must take place in one designated spot (contact the IASLC for that location).
- No filming of sessions is allowed.
- All filming must be done in front of a backdrop which includes any of the below linked images of the IASLC logo. This may be co-branded to have your logo as well, as long as the IASLC logo is visible in the final footage.
- All filming must include the official name of the conference “IASLC 19th World Conference on Lung Cancer” in the questions asked of the interviewees, and acknowledgement must be given to the fact that the interview was conducted at the WCLC.
- Any footage placed on your website must include a reference to the IASLC World Conference on Lung Cancer.
- If possible, you may also include the conference hashtag: #WCLC2018.
Video, Photography and Audio Recording Policy
Photography, videotaping and audio recording are allowed for news coverage only in the following areas/events:
- Press Conferences/Media Availability
- Interview rooms
- Other designated locations (with IASLC approval)
- Recording in common areas requires permission and/or an IASLC staff escort
Live Coverage Policy
Live coverage requires the approval of the IASLC. An authorized representative of any press vehicle requiring electrical service or external cabling must be available to coordinate logistical details with IASLC. Live coverage is restricted to designated areas or an area approved by IASLC staff and is on a first-come, first-served basis
Presentation Slides and Poster Release Policy
All presentation slides including audio or video recordings as well as the electronic poster files will be released in the virtual meeting within 24 hours after the presentation but only after the talk or the poster has been presented at the Conference.
Organizations may use social media to disseminate news and information regarding abstracts being presented at the WCLC. All information distributed through social media channels must adhere to the IASLC's embargo policy. Please use the IASLC's World Conference hashtag, #WCLC2018 in any social media posts. Members of the media are permitted to photograph or record and transmit/share on any social media platform any presentation's slides without approval from the presenter and/or the IASLC unless explicitly forbidden. However, authors retain the copyright to their full slide presentations and all copyright laws apply to the reproduction, distribution and/or publication of slides. Representatives from academic institutions are permitted to share slides. Only non-flash photography of slide presentations is allowed.
Media List Policy
The IASLC does not release media lists for the IASLC World Conference on Lung Cancer.
Interview Rooms Available for Booking
All interviews outside of press conferences must be arranged in advance with interviewees and must take place in the IASLC approved and designated rooms. No last-minute or hallway interviews are permitted anywhere inside the conference facility. IASLC staff are available to help schedule interviews and IASLC provides designated interview rooms. A limited number of interview rooms are available complimentary to credentialed media and may be scheduled with IASLC staff for up to two hours through below link.
All other interested parties may request an interview room for a fee.
Becky Bunn, IASLC Public Relationship Manager
becky.bunn at iaslc.org
For questions, please contact:
Becky Bunn, MSc
IASLC Public Relations Manager
Becky.Bunn at iaslc.org
Failure to comply with these policies may result in the immediate revocation of any privileges of the current WCLC and for future IASLC events.
The IASLC reserves the right to change these policies when needed without notice.